#MyDubai initiative crosses over half a million Instagram posts
- Sporting stars and international celebrities show their support of the initiative
- #MyDubai expands its e-Museum as it continues to grow
Dubai UAE, 27th April, 2014: Since HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai launched the #MyDubai initiative on his Instagram and Twitter accounts four months ago, more than 500,000 images have been posted on Instagram.
Reaching this milestone within such a short period shows that #MyDubai has sparked people's imagination to showcase their experiences in the Emirate. The images and stories demonstrate residents’ and visitors’ daily life activities, views and experiences, all of which make up the rich tapestry of this vibrant and cosmopolitan city.
In addition to personal images posted by residents and visitors, a number of top international brands, local organisations and government entities have also engaged with the initiative by using the hashtag across their social media platforms and engaging with the initiative through various events and which highlight life in Dubai:
- Dubai Culture launched a ‘Capture Creativity’ competition to support #MyDubai which encouraged residents and visitors of the UAE to share photos and videos capturing their creative moments during the recent art season across the city.
- Dubai Police have also shown their commitment and are featuring the hashtag on their fleet of cars, especially their latest convoy of Bugatti Veyron.
- Burj Al Arab rewards some of the most creative contributions by projecting five #MyDubai images onto its famous sail at the end of each month.
- Ferrari demonstrated its support of #MyDubai during the unveiling of the California T by inviting Emirati artist Rashid Al Mulla, and Dubai-based Jordanian artist Mohammed Hindash to create a piece of art recreating ‘their Dubai’ at the launch event.
- Local designer Caliente Caps have launched an exclusive line of #MyDubai baseball caps, one of which has even been worn by HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai.
- Audi Al Nabooda have added the #MyDubai to all their employee email signatures, while the Audi marketing fleet has been branded with #MyDubai to attend events across the city such as Fashion Forward, the International Peace conference, and the Emirates Ambassador Event.
- Local events such as The Dubai World Cup, The Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, The Desert Classic, Dubai Beach Polo and xCat have also shown their support by projecting #MyDubai onto big screens to encourage visitors to capture their Dubai moments.
- During the DDF Tennis Championships, as part of the initiative, Roger Federer, the long term Dubai resident shared his own #MyDubai story at an exclusive interview. He detailed his views on how Dubai has grown and developed over the years and shared some of his favored pastimes in the city.
- The hashtag even appeared on the race horses at The Dubai World Cup sporting #MyDubai.
- Axiom Telecom and ThinkUp, an Emirati-run creative and PR agency, launched the first photo-based #MyDubai social media contest in March through their networks which requested followers to tag their photos with #MyDubai and #AxiomThinkUp on Instagram to enter into a prize draw.
- SkiDubai was taken over by #MyDubai for its X-Men-themed Freestyle Night on Thursday24th April which saw skiers and snowboarders tackle adrenaline pumping stunts and jumps – dressed as superheroes!
Every day, a selection of images hashtagged #MyDubai on instagram are chosen to represent life in Dubai on that day on the #MyDubai e-Museum, which can be viewed on Instagram @MyDubai. The e-Museum is managed by DTCM as part of their support of the initiative.
Issam Kazim, CEO of Dubai Corporation for Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said: “We are delighted to witness an increasing number of local and international organisations embracing the #MyDubai initiative and joining in creating the world’s first autobiography of a city. We are all part of the Emirate’s story and I encourage all residents and visitors to continue the momentum of the visionary project of HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram as you tour the city and share your experiences..”
The hashtag #MyDubai can be used on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to share stories, photos, videos, and experiences in the city. Collectively the contributions are building a fascinating portrait of life in the Emirate. The content will be curated across different multi-media to inspire art instillations, films, books and other creative projects, which together will create the autobiography.
Notes to Editors
Showcasing company/business involvement across the Emirate:
1) Caliente Caps - #MyDubai baseball caps
2) Race Horse at The Dubai World Cup - #MyDubai
3) Burj Al Arab projection of #MyDubai
4) Dubai Culture - ‘Capture Creativity’ winner
5) #MyDubai Infographic
The #MyDubai initiative was created by HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai, with a request for residents and visitors to join him in sharing photos, videos and stories on social media and show their experiences of Dubai. The intention is to celebrate the everyday lives of the people and communities of the Emirate and show the city that is beneath the landmarks, headlines and superlatives.
The contributions will be shared across social media platforms and in other forms of creative media such as exhibitions and art installations. Launching the initiative, His Highness Sheikh Hamdan said: “A city’s story is created by its people and it’s time to join together and show the world how 2.1 million people can create one remarkable story: together we will create the world’s first autobiography of a city.” A selection of contributions can be seen @MyDubai on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
About Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM)
With the ultimate vision of positioning Dubai as the world’s leading tourism destination and commercial hub, Dubai’s Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing’s (DTCM) mission is to increase the awareness of Dubai to global audiences and to attract tourists and inward investment into the Emirate.
DTCM is the principal authority for the planning, supervision, development and marketing of Dubai’s tourism sector; markets and promotes the Emirate’s commerce sector; and is responsible for the licensing and classification of all tourism services, including hotels, tour operators and travel agents. Brands and departments within the DTCM portfolio include Dubai Convention and Events Bureau, Dubai Calendar, and Dubai Festivals and Retail Establishment (formerly known as Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment). In addition to its headquarters in Dubai, DTCM operates 20 offices worldwide.
For further information about DTCM, please contact:
Director of Communications