An essential guide to securing VAT refunds on your purchases
Dubai is renowned as a shopping haven with an incredible array of malls, designer boutiques and retail-themed festivals. The UAE recently introduced a Value-Added Tax (VAT) of 5% but tourists to Dubai can still enjoy Tax Free shopping. Read on to find out more.
What is Tax Free shopping?
Tourists can obtain a refund on the VAT of goods purchased in the UAE that will be exported, subject to terms and conditions.
Refunds are, however, not applicable on anything that has been consumed, fully or partly, in the UAE, as well as goods that are not accompanied by the tourist when leaving the country.
How can I claim a refund on my shopping?
- While at the store, request a Tax Free purchase – valid on an AED250 minimum spend.
- You’ll have to present your passport, which will be scanned for use on the payment system.
- The shop assistant then attaches a Tax Free tag to the back of the sales receipt.
- A digital Tax Free form is created, which needs to be validated upon departure.
- Tax Free tags need to be validated within 90 days of the purchase date.
How are goods validated?